Finney Injury Law (FIL) has selected seven outstanding area students, each to receive an educational scholarship award of $2500. These scholars were selected based on course study, passion for higher education, positive community impact, and need.
Funded by the Finney Injury Law firm, the scholarship aims to support historically underrepresented students breaking down barriers in the legal professions. Applications were accepted from area high school seniors and college students. This is the first year the firm has offered this educational scholarship.
Chris Finney, a firm owner, and founder said, “These seven students represent the most inspiring and positive young people in our community. When everything seems bleak when there seems to be no end in sight—these people will renew your hope in the future. These seven will have an impact on the communities where they reside. We hope this small token helps them on their way.”
To be considered for the scholarship, students had to write an essay or video that explained how they have overcome adversity and what they learned from the experience.
The 2020 scholarship recipients are as follows:
- Cortney Brewer – University of Missouri – Kansas City
- Rothman R. Harris III – Farmington H.S. Graduate ‘20 – Westminster College, Freshman
- Eric Estrada Lopez – Pattonville H.S. Graduate ‘20 – the University of St. Francis, Freshman
- Reanna Meyer – Seckman H.S. Graduate ‘20 – University of Missouri – Columbia, Freshman
- Eda Sagnak – Washington University
- Jalea Scott – Metro Academic and Classical H.S. ‘20 – Rockhurst University, Freshman
- Tylisha J. Stubbs – Nerinx Hall Graduate ‘20 – Southeast Missouri State Freshman